Saturday, March 13, 2010

Going to the Mall

Hello again, I do not have a lot to write about in this post. About the most exciting thing I have done recently is going to the Mall. That sounds pretty bland at surface level and for those of you who know me you know that I am not a mall person however this mall is special. The trip today took several hours (although I was enformed it was "quick") because I had the privilage to go to the largest mall in all of Africa or the Middle East. Yes, I went to City Stars in Cairo (in Nasr city) and actualy had a pretty good time. The mall is enormous, while it takes up less space physical space than the mall of america it actually contains more stores.




From Wikipedia:



"City Stars consists of:[1]
Three international hotels that provide over 1,500 rooms and suites.
Shopping and entertainment centre.
Medical centre.
Residential Towers; offering 266 apartments, duplexes and penthouses.
Office Towers; offering 70,000 m2 of office space.
An International Exhibition Centre (20,000 m2).[2] "


(The pictures are off wikipedia too because I forgot to bring my camera with)



It was a lot of fun to go and see the mall not so much because of the mall itself but because of what it really represents on plateform for Cairo and for Egypt. There are so many areas of Cairo that are bum broken crap holes and places that are labeled as "nice" or "upscale" that it really speaks to the modernization that Cairo and Egypt is trying to attain to continue to be competitive with the western world. Now obviously this also opens the door for questions like "should'nt they work on development in the broken down areas before they build super malls thing" but I am hoping not to get into that. I just throught that it was a really cool mall with tons and tons of stuff.
So for now that is about all I have. This coming weekend I have a geology field trip out into the desert somewhere so be looking forward to a new blog and more photos. I also have some more videos to post but I have not been able to get them uploaded yet, but I will keep trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment